Thursday, October 29, 2009

Random Night Survey

I came across a sleeping Jerusalem Cricket earlier and somehow it didn't occur to me to take a picture, since I have that one posed and drying on the pinning board. Since they're nocturnal I thought I might look around outside and see if I came across any - as there are three at the bottom of our pool right now. I ended up running into different insects plus arthropods, gastropods, and salamanders. Below are the pictures - with quick general identifications.



Formicidae (Ants), Xystodesmidae (Millipede Family), Coleoptera (I have three specimens, will devote a later entry to more specific identification), Machilidae (Bristletails)




Machilidae, Xystodesmidae



Raphidophoridae (Camel Crickets), Pulmonata (Slugs, Snails)



Coleoptera, Forficula auricularia (European Earwig)



Carabidae?(Ground Beetle), Pulmonata, Anisolabididae (Ring-Legged Earwigs, male based on asymmetric pincers)



Pulmonata, Diplopoda (Millipedes, Class)



Forficula auricularia, Ensatina eschscholtzii (Monterey Ensatina)



Batrachoseps attenuatus (California Slender Salamander)



Pulmonata eggs, Araneae (Spider) eggs, Pulmonata



Agelenidae (Funnel-Web Spiders), Lumbricina (Earthworm)

Eventually I'll get around to keying the three Coleopterans, but at this point I still am rather busy with medical school. I should make it a habit to do night surveys - they're a lot of fun. Thanks to Phil for the salamander IDs - it pays to have a friend who knows herps and amphibians.

No comments:

Post a Comment