Friday, February 6, 2009

Carabidae

While out collecting the caterpillars and pictures of the ants/scale bugs, I also caught two of the order Hymenoptera (wasps, bees, ants). I have not keyed either of them yet but they are on the pinning board. As soon as they are ready to be removed, I will take their pictures and key them. For the time being, I will post on the most recently collected insects that have not been placed away yet.





Coleoptera; Adephaga; Carabidae; Laemostenus complanatus

Carabid beetles are one of the most common beetles one will find - they are extremely diverse. Many also bite - you can see the large mandibles - and are carnivorous, feeding on other insects and especially caterpillars. They are generally flattened, not raised high above the ground. This specimen is one of the larger beetles I have collected, and is likely this species, Laemostenus complanatus, a fast-running African beetle which has spread worldwide and is now very common in Southern California.

3 comments:

  1. Is it moving to southern Missouri? I had one bite me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is working up north at Norman Wells and says these carabid beetles are like a grasshopper and bite people harder than a wasp leaving a quarter sized welt on the back of a person's neck and it hurts worse than a horsefly or wasp. Is there anything that will drive them away because if you step on one it will live 4 hours after that. They are strong and aggressive - any ways of protecting people from being bitten?

    ReplyDelete
  3. =/ I think the best bet is probably to wear gloves... or completely crush them - I don't know of any beetle repellents off the top of my head... I have never been bitten by one, but they do come out at night more often if that helps at all.

    ReplyDelete